Iyengar Yoga Retreats in Schoemanshoek, Oudtshoorn, Klein Karoo, South Africa

Oudtshoorn is the largest town in the Klein Karoo area, which is known as an unique, ecological hotpot, where three distinct biomes meet. This quaint, sunny town is settled in a beautiful valley between the Outeniqua and Swartberg Mountains, South Africa's most recent world heritage site. The climate is perfect any time of the year with mild winters and hot summers. The air is remarkably clear and and lying stargazing on a warm evening will keep you captivated as you watch the galaxy in perfect clarity.
Oh, and don't put your head in the sand, because nor does the ostrich - it's just a myth!

Schoemanshoek is located about 12kms outside Oudtshoorn, in a fertile valley half-way to the Cango Caves. The Centre is located just out of sight in this beautiful valley. For more specific directions, please write to me and I will send it to you.

For more information about this part of the R328 route, please visit this website for details of location of the Centre (31), as well as accommodationhttp://cangoroute.co.za/index.php or more about the areahttp://www.oudtshoorninfo.com/






Just completed and ready to serve the yoga community September 2011

Comments after our  retreats - 2012

Dear David and Jurgen
I am in Sedgefield sitting looking out at the sea. I am enjoying every moment of the 'afterglow' of your first Yoga Retreat in Oudtshoorn.
As always your Yoga teachings are so well thought out as are your yoga sequences. I love how you start off by bringing awareness to the parts of the body which really have to work harder later on in the final pose.
I am really grateful for the time you take to get my less flexible body into variations of the poses.
Every student has a moment of 'personal David attention' and at the same time the rest of us are learning from each other.
I really learn a lot visually and so appreciate other people being 'models' for the poses. It is a real world and good to see real bodies doing the same pose especially if one pose is beginner form and the other more advanced.
Jurgen, your 'magic touch' brings life to my poses. My muscles know immediately how to behave. Hopefully my 'Traps' (trapezius muscles) will improve and no longer create a trap in my poses.
Every time I attend your workshops I add another layer to my understanding of yoga.
These 6 days of yoga have created a mind shift for me. I have been in a space of 'neither here nor there'. During my yoga time with you I have shifted to thinking, 'this is what I want to do and I know how I want to do it.'
With gratitude
Margaret du Toit (Johannesburg)
********************
Beloved yogis and teachers of mine, David and Jurgen
Woke up this morning and so weird not to jump out of bed in anticipation of another blessed day with you in your studio. (But I did turn over and have a lovely 2 hours more of sleep!)
I so loved being your student for the past 6 days and having our wonderful history and your impeccable imprint on my body renewed.
Thank you for so much. Your wisdom, focus, strong intent, humor, investment and most of all love for being on the yogic path. And for taking me along so sweetly. You were both there for me every step of the way, encouraging, cajoling, teasing and most of all enabling me. Means a lot to me.
I've come away with renewed love for the asana practice which builds my daily yogic choice of lifestyle so perfectly. And of course I've come away inspired to build on my daily asana practice...please Ganesha hear me now!
Ok enough gushing, but I mean it all
Love and blessings
Robyna
***********************
Dear Juergen and David,
I'm home safely after a long drive - it took me 6 hours as I missed the strange turn-off before reaching George
While driving I was thinking about your last morning of the retreat and all the things we did and the back bends today. I left feeling so calm and peaceful inside.
I just want to let you know how special this retreat was for me, it made me think about my current life style and how yoga and country life impact my health.... my practice will become longer in future, actually as from tomorrow - that is the first step. I'm so glad that I could keep up with most of the poses and that I had plenty of energy to do the whole class every day.
Thank you for all that you provide to create a special space in which we can learn,be our word, not take things personally and do our best! Whether it is answering all the e-mails beforehand, cleaning the room, correcting us over and over again, freezing cooling elements, sharing from your personal life, recommending books, equipment and poses and never ending lifting of sand bags on to my hands it seems it never becomes too much: thank you, thank you, thank you.
much love, - Birgit - (Feb 2012)
                                                             Summer 6-day retreat February 2012
......" ek sal vir ewig dankbaar wees dat julle op my pad gekom het, my begrip van Joga en van mens wees het verbreed en verdiep.
David jy het beslis n leermeester se gawe; kennis, geduld ,vaardigheid om die  beste in jou "studente" uit te bring en begrip/sensitiwiteit vir die individu wat voor jou is.Jurgen,  jy komplimenteer David baie goed met jou sin van humor en jouinstinktiewe gevoel om te weet watter support n mens no dig het...Riana (June 2012)



Winter 6-day retreat June 2012


Dear David and Juergen - November 2012

I cannot thank you enough for the 6 day retreat that I have just returned from.  Even though I had a dodgy hamstring and a crampy shoulder, I did not once feel like I was missing out, or that I couldn't cope.  You were so accommodating in adapting and adjusting, and sharing ways to deal with what we have.  This made me realize something.  I always thought of the "yoga body"  as the ones many of the instructors have, the petite, bendy, slight build.  I have now realised that the yoga body is the one that practices yoga.  So - I have one after all!

Thank you and I hope to see you again soon at your beautiful haven in the place with the bluest sky. 
lots of love 
Anet Ahern



Winter 6-day retreat June 2013